Friday, October 8, 2010

Lessons in yeast

Just another normal day on Claire's kitchen counter.  Got my rice cooker over there, my O.J., my ginger tea, my favourite cat coaster, and - oh, that?  THAT'S what happens when you put bread dough in the fridge overnight with naive plans to roll it out into cinnamon buns the next day.



Apparently even the highest-quality Tupperware - and I make no compromises when it comes to container quality - is no match for dough determined to make its second rise.  Well.  I've learned.

I was GOING to save the debut of my newest domestic skill - bread-making! - for when I'd made my first perfectly-formed loaf.  But you know what?  The Internet is full of intimidatingly flawless DIY baking/crafting projects, and I'm pretty sure the road to those gorgeous cupcakes and yak-yarn iPod snugglies was paved with... well, things that looked like my first loaf of bread: 


But you know what?  It might be crooked with a gaping air hole in the middle, and the crust might be marred by two burn lines from my toaster oven's top elements, but that bread is freaking DELICIOUS.  And it was practically free.  Ugly wins!

Recipe here - but reduce sugar, boost salt, IMHO.

Update on sad-sack sickness: thanks in no small part to all the Get-Well lovin' I received electronically, my gross cold is now only a cough!  Hooray!  I sound like a baby seal with SARS, but I can retire the hankies.  Thank you for all your kind emails.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sooo glad you are back to blogging, because you do it soo well!!

Miss you!

MS M. said...

That is for sure, Carla!

Claire, did you bake the overflowing one?

Claire said...

Nope, the yeast monster was pitched into the garbage bin in the alley under the cover of darkness - the bread is the result of the other half of the dough, which I baked up the night before (the recipe makes two loaves).

... and thanks, Carla!! Blush.