Saturday, October 9, 2010

Julia visited!

Remember Julia?  She was one of my closest friends the year we studied together at Donghua University.  Then she moved back to Poland.

:(

But she came back!  And we went exploring around Xiaonanmen ("Little south door"), where Shanghai's southernmost city gate used to be.  Now, it's a neighbourhood clinging to its past as highrises and a brand-new metro station pop up around it.  We found an amazing laneway fabric market, took some photos, and ate lamb-on-a-stick, one Shanghai's most delectable street foods.



In the old parts of Shanghai, the photos take themselves.  Bicycles, of course, are everywhere.

The fabric market street.  Produce and poultry were further down.  (Loving my camera's B&W auto setting.)
The colours everywhere were beautiful - it had just rained.  I'm not sure if this is a storage shack or a very small home.
Duck A: "DON'T.  LOOK.  BEHIND YOU."  Duck B: *stifled quack*
The ginger in Shanghai is incredible - so fresh it's actually juicy.

Here we are!  Me rocking the old "I hate being photographed but maybe if I look sideways I'll just look ironic!!!"  Works eeeeevery time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the ducks. I read it in your voice, and it was awesome.

ps: Just realized the picture on your About Me page was taken in dt St. J, by moi, nonetheless! (Not shown: ENORMOUS bowl of sweet potato french fries and adorable baby).

:( Miss you too.

MS M. said...

Hi to Laura! Just looked at your blog too - now I've got 2 blogs to follow! Your baby Sylvia is beautiful and the shed is looking good!

Claire, those pictures are so amazing. The black and white one is fantastic. Would like to print that one an the bike one at least and put them on my wall.

Been making any French Toast lately? Cupcakes?

I hope you are having a good day.

Love,
Aunt Maur

juhupudlox said...

beautiful pics! like your report from our wanderings ;-)