Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A haiku celebration of Chinese notebooks

Hi everyone!

Hands down, one of the best things about China - and, it seems, Asian countries in general - is the plethora of adorable stationery to be had at pleasingly inexpensive prices. It's hard to express the kind of excitement generated by particularly excellent finds of the paper variety (Aunt Maureen, I know you understand), so I've resorted to that old standby, haiku. Actually, it's not my old standby. But it sure will be; I seriously feel ten times more Zen than I did twenty minutes ago. Please feel free to use your own 22 syllables to vote for your favourite book - the winner will receive it in the mail, because I love sending stuff home.


When I am depressed
The notebook store cheers me up
Zebra bums: so cute!

Gambol's so stylish
"Most outstanding achievers"
I hope they mean me

The big fat pink "M"
And the blank pages are great
Also, it has weight





I hate computers!
iPhoto won't flip these pics
Sorry they're backwards :(

Also just realized
You can't see the Gambol text
Okay, here it is:

"Gambol notebooks, made with future technology, for tomorrow's most outstanding achievers."


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Memories may fade,
But my writing is so clear
I cannot forget!

cayliedawn said...

in your "photobooth"
choose the picture you want, then
"edit" -> "flip photo"

my dear, misled claire:
it's seventeen syllables,
not twenty-two. oops.

zebra takes the cake
(speaking of which, there are new
cupcake shops on whyte!)

Laura B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura B. said...

chuhiast: what is it?
A word not appearing on
the notebooks you found

Yvette Stack said...

seventeen is right
but does it really matter
life alas is brief

(alternate last line;
five more could be good)

Which one has more literary merit??

Gregory said...

Touseled hair
It’s Intense blue stare
I want the stripey mare!

I dare trancend count
Know haikus don’t rhyme
Stripey notes be mine

Don’t disqualify
Me - for solidarity
I’ll share it with you

Gregory said...

I "trancend" spelling
Proves that paper I need
to over achieve.

Claire said...

How embarrassing -
I love enumeration!
(Sigh) oops. Thanks, Caylie.

Keep going, troops;
The contest closes Wednesday.
You can haik-do it!

Yvette Stack said...

tomorrow i leave
in a dark green van,to ski
undulating trails

Voyageur said...

your blog makes me laugh
the world through Claire's eyes is a
riot of colour

Anonymous said...

So sad that I missed
My chance to pontificate
Re: books in haiku

MS M. said...

haiku i do and
better than any of you
i missed the contest!

HS said...

"...notebooks, made with future technology, for tomorrow's most outstanding achievers." has been used by many stationery factory, e.g. Glister, Gamely, Sanhen... it is copied from Japan Gambol and wildly and widely used by Chinese.