Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Saturday routine

Weekends in Shanghai mean people, lots of people, everywhere. I always tutor from 1:00 to 3:00 over in Pudong (Shanghai, like Edmonton, is spliced in two by water, and Pudong is on the far side of the Huangpu River), and negotiating the crowds on the metro trip there and back is an experience unparalleled by anything in Canada. Sometimes I try to imagine what situation at home would compel people to cram themselves through doors as passionately and unapologetically as they do here. It's like the Strathcona Farmers' Market, only the same amount of people have to squeeze into one-tenth the space. And it's Christmas Eve, and there is a turkey shortage so there is only one free-range turkey left. And everyone's elbows are extra-sharp, and most people are a little shorter than usual so the elbows really get into your ribs.

The blurry photo below was the best I could do before the camera was knocked out of my hand (fortunately into my bag).

Before squeezing into the metro, I had a fantastic morning wandering around a little artsy area called Taikang Lu, where a lot of artists moved to take advantage of the cheap rent a few years ago and which has, predictably, become somewhat gentrified. Among the little shops, though, are old row houses whose original occupants still hang out playing chess outside and washing their clothes in giant, bright-coloured plastic bowls. It's a really strange mix of trendy expats and far less privileged Chinese people, and I don't feel comfortable describing it (like my guidebook does) as "charming" and "off the beaten path" when really, it's a cluster of kind of decrepit alleyways with Chinese residents that probably don't have money to rebuild or even repaint. I do think Katie had a point, though, when she said that at least it's one historical part of town that isn't being sacrificed for a new condo.

After doing a bit of Christmas shopping, I took a cab to the closest metro station. Refreshingly, the ride was beautiful - we were in the French Concession, which has gorgeous old trees hanging over the streets. I wished I could have wandered around instead of teaching in the afternoon, but alas, there is rent to pay!

Grandma, I will write more about school this week. Thanks, everyone, for your comments - they're really fun to read and make me feel like an Important Internet Presence.





2 comments:

Yvette Stack said...

The metro trip sounds hair-raising, but your stroll through that neighbourhood sounds lovely and interesting.Nice photos! Do you enjoy the tutoring? Is it at someone's house or do you meet somewhere??I just came back from a nice hike up Mt. Finlayson.
Love,
Grandma

juhupudlox said...

i don't want to be mean here, but i think that if it wasn't sacrified for a new condo it's been sacrified for tourist's and business' sake (i still admit i prefer the second choice, instead of skyscrapers)