Monday, November 17, 2008

House: adequately warmed!

Last night I finally had my housewarming party, some four and a half weeks after moving in. We drank cocktails with highly suspect Ikea vodka, ate amazing onion soup cooked in my kitchen by Julia (garlic-chopping credits to Poppy), and made my teeny apartment really feel like home. Sitting alone in bed after everyone went home, I realized what a difference it makes to be able to imagine your house filled with people - knowing that there is potential for company makes the place feel homey even - dare I say especially? - when you're on your own.

It was a great mix of people, and a good opportunity to introduce my friends here to you. Poppy, Julia, and Katie were there, and so were Megha (American), my old roommate; Anja, Jenny, and Conny (all German), friends from the dorm; new friends Helene and Nico (French); Kellan (American), a friend from school whom I met at the harrowing health-check "field trip" at the beginning of term; and Eric (Chinese), who is doing his Master's at Donghua and who was helping out on a volunteering trip I went on last month with the university.


I am planning to host Christmas festivities here as well - anyone have any decorating ideas?

Tomorrow: all about my studies.

Photo 1: Katie and Megha
Photo 2: Kellan
Photo 3: Eric and Poppy
Photo 4: Julia and Nico
Photo 5:
Everrrybody! Note Poppy moving faster than the speed of light. (Why can't I post more than five pictures?)



2 comments:

Yvette Stack said...

Wow, looks like a lovely party; whish I could have been there!The onion soup sounds great; garlic is the magic ingredient for everything; you can't have too much
Re Christmas ornaments; I have been knitting little gift bags out of red/green sparkly yarn, but my friends have made rude comment s about them. Perhaps if you made some your friends wouldn't be so mean.But you should get an Advent wreath and 4 candles; three purple and one pink, and light the first one on NOv.30.The pink one is for the third weekIs there lots of greeenery around there? You could hang little branches , or arrahge twigs and branches in vases; easier than finding a tree maybe.

juhupudlox said...

oh my gosh! so there actually is A photo of the soup there! i regretted of being so sloppy and not taking any pictures of the process or the effect at least! but thanks to you- there's an evidence. i'm gonna borrow it from you to show to a friend ;)

it was a really nice housewarming! thank you :)