Friday, May 8, 2009

Sweet, sweet cupcake success!

Finally. After a string of failures culminating in the Chocolate Cupcake Disaster of March 29, I've pulled cupcakes out of my oven that aren't dense, vinegar-flavoured messes. I've chucked my Six-Minute Chocolate Cake recipe out the window in favour of Katie's accurately-titled Never-Fail Chocolate Cake:

1.5 c white sugar
0.5 c cocoa
2 c flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
.75 c oil
1.5 c milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla

Mix all in bowl. 350, 35 minutes in greased 9 x 13" pan, or about 10 minutes for cupcakes. Easy!


I also concocted some super-yummy chocolate icing. The process was something like this: put cocoa and a bit of butter in a saucepan, mix over low heat, adding as much milk as necessary to make stirrable. Take off heat and mix in enough icing sugar to make stiff. It's not scientific, but it's certainly delicious: more chocolatey than sugary.

The cupcakes' success may have also been aided by the wee wrappers they are snuggled in. Check them OUT! I can't even handle the baking supplies here; I just found out that I can order 10,000 customized wrappers for, like, $100. That's a lifetime of "CTB"-swaddled baked goods, people!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Super duper awesome Claire!! I miss your baking. When you come back in the summer you must help me break in my stand mixer...

Anonymous said...

Yum.

Oh, and my word verification is "spuna," which i will define as "spam tuna." Again, yum.

I'm off to make a spuna sandwich with sweet, sweet cupcakes for dessert. Oh, rats, it's 7:30 AM. Well then, eggs.

Yvette Stack said...

The cupcakes make my mouth water! There are now two competing cupcake shops on Whyte Avel I haven't been in either one yet. The festival also sounds wonderful. Leonard Cohen was here a cople of weeks ago and i wish I'd gotten tickets and gone!You are sure having some great experiences! I won't enter the captiion contest as am still very busy getting my house in order, but enjoying it immensely. It's Saturday nignt nd I'm listening to Randy Bachmand and Vinyl Tap.