Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tiny apple crisp and the other highlights of my weekend (um, all food)

Here's the thing. There are some dishes that should really be available in individual portions, and apple crisp is one of them. Sometimes you just have a craving, but you don't feel like peeling five apples and baking a huge dish that you'll probably eat in its entirety in the middle of the night. It's not that I don't love the rogue thrill of standing over an empty Pyrex with a soup spoon at three a.m. as much as the next person - let's just say that there's a reason God invented miniature Le Creuset dishes, and it's so you can whip up a wee dessert to enjoy whilst reading your new book on a Friday night when it's been a long week and you don't really feel like doing anything particularly social.

Photo trilogy below. The book, which I highly recommend for weekend reading despite its slightly flaky title and worrisomely purple cover, is "This Charming Man" by Irish author Marian Keyes.

Then: Saturday night. Having satisfied my longing for a.c., I felt a hole in my diet - one that could only be filled by m.a.m.p.* BUT I barely ate any vegetables last week and needed greens. BUT I didn't feel like polluting my Comfort Meal with boring, boring spinach. What's a girl to do? MASH THE GREENS AND POTATOES TOGETHER! Le Creuset made a comeback. Some say adding foreign textures to m.p. is a heinous crime. Some say it's purely efficient. Discuss.

THEN: Easter! China doesn't do Easter at all, but we are used to making do; a laid-back early-afternoon brunch included pancakes, mango, donut bits, bacon (to celebrate the end of Poppy and Julia's long and sad meatless Lent), and menacing but delicious fruit skewers. Julia dyed beautiful eggs - the trick to getting them this glossy is to rub 'em with a bit of butter - and we all enjoyed the sunshine, especially Isa, who lounged on the terrace.

Happy spring, everyone! Hope the Easter Bunny brought lots of stickers and yummy chocolate, as he used to do for me.

*meat and mashed potatoes

1 comment:

Laura B. said...

LOVE m.a.m.p. I may need to make some for supper tonight. In fact, I think I will.

Would you believe I had miniature a.c. for breakfast? IT'S TRUE! I usually make a couple individual servings when I make a big one (though it's tricky not to overpower the apples with too much crisp) to enjoy later. This morning was that later. I don't use much sugar, so it's okay. I swear.

ponstri: n. the area over my back fence where the stream joins the pond in a bed of alder trees.