Thursday, April 30, 2009

Project 1: Opening House (not mine)

Every night before I go to sleep, a soft but chiding voice whispers, "You forgot to write your blog tonight, Claire." My toes twinge with guilt and then I drift into slumber, forgetting about the whole thing until the next night at around midnight. Why do I do this? I just saw "He's Just Not That Into You" and Justin Long says it's because my life lacks real drama so I have to create my own. I don't entirely agree, but at least I don't have to take up gambling or, like, catfights in bars.

So what have I been doing the past two weeks? Kind of studying for midterms, but mostly organizing this Open House party for the Community Centre (I insist on CDN spelling) of Shanghai, an organization that helps expats form, um, community in this ginormous city. The Centre offers all sorts of classes, social events for youth and for grown-ups, tours, counselling, etc., etc. It's a really cool place and they just opened their brand new office about a twenty-minute bike ride from my apartment.


About six weeks ago, I decided to volunteer there and was immediately recruited to help party-plan, which I had no problem with; although the whole thing was super time-consuming, I can't pretend I don't love choosing decorations, harassing people to RSVP, and trying to hang unwieldy banners on sketchy walls that shouldn't be depended on to hold ANYTHING up. Some photos below - mostly of the Hongqiao Flower Market, one of several in the city that offers beautiful, gorgeous, stunning flowers basically for free. The party was last Saturday night and was super-successful, despite my and my co-organizer's fear that only ten people would come and everyone would win three door prizes before we packed the catering into Tupperware to be eaten cold every night for the following week whilst reflecting on our failured attempt at entertaining. What a relief! Though the leftovers would have been great.


Photos:

1. Just one of the beautiful flower market stalls
2. This guy did our welcome table arrangement in seven minutes flat. Bam!
3. Julia wins a doorprize, tries to regain focus
4. Party favours
5. Typical: women organize, men cut the damn ribbon




No comments: