Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tour guide training

A treat this Sunday: entertaining my first out-of-town visitor, Mike (Amanda's husband (Amanda, with whom I progressed through Industrial Design, and who has Ty-Pennington-like renovation capabilities as well as a highly evolved sense of humour... excellent things in a woman) and who teams with myself and Amanda to form a formidable Speed Scrabble trio).* In China for business, Mike landed himself a day in Shanghai at the end of his trip and I tried my best to show him around a few of the places I've become well-acquainted with since I arrived here: Taikang Lu (the art street), the fake market at the Science & Technology Centre, and the riverside walkway near the Pearl Tower in Pudong, where we warmed up with a wholly un-Chinese Starbucks coffee. Along the way, we found the World's Most Balance-Challenging Outdoor Restaurant Seating, as well as the World's Teeniest Green Chair. Thanks for the good times, Mike! And especially for the tabloid magazines, specially imported for those of us who need celebrity gossip like a baby needs a bottle.





*Please excuse the paranthesetic experimentation - a guilty but satisfying indulgence. You should really try it.



6 comments:

Squeege said...

Dear Claire,
I am glad you had the opportnity to entertain
out of town guest.
You excell at things that involve social interaction
You also have a sense of how to make your guest feel comfortable, a skill I definately lack.!
Re: Your need for celebrity gossip, Yesterday there
was a two hour special on the life of Britney Spears!
Make sure that you observe her birthday this
December 2nd by doing something frivolous in
her honour.

David said...

Hey Claire, Thanks for posting these great pics of Shanghai. Was that a Brooks saddle knock-off - another luxury item copied?

For some reason your paranthesetic experimentation reminds me of a Burgess experiment with the word onions in Enderby Outside:

"Then, instead of expensive mouthwash, he had breathed on Hogg-Enderby bafflingly (for no banquet would serve, because of the known redolence of onions, onions) onions."

Perhaps I just want to experiment with HTML tags.

If you weary of the celebrity gossip, there are laughs a plenty coming out of Ottawa as well. Harper has provoked a confidence vote and there is talk of a coalition government. Really, you can't make this stuff up.

Claire said...

Kathy, I'm so happy to hear/see your voice! What is your email address? I can't believe I missed the Britney documentary; China is just so cut off. :)

David, dare I suggest it's a real Brooks saddle (having looked up what a Brooks saddle is)? Most of the counterfeiting energy seems to be directed towards bags, watches, and underwear, ie. Calvin Kline or Clein. Good God, I'll certainly be spending more time on Globe and Mail, no longer how long it takes to load. Please keep me updated as cen---ship seems to be keeping me off cbc.ca.

Squeege said...

Hi Claire,
My email address is kl16@shaw.ca
enjoy your day, I will be in touch soon
lots of love xoxoxo

MS M. said...

Hi Squeege - I missed Britney's birthday also. Please give me more notice next year.

Love your sister Maur

and HI CLAIRE. LOVE YOUR BLOG!!

evelyn said...

Claire! What excellent blogs--I forgot to tell you when we talked that Daniel and I read the visa-debacle story out loud from his iphone & i've NEVER seen him laugh like that. He'd laugh then catch himself and say oh dear, then laugh some more. It's one of the funniest things I've ever read too.

Guess what--today I bought you a couple of tree ornaments at possibly the best tree ornament sale ever, parltly because it was at 10 million villages. so next year your plucky little synthetic tree will glow even more.

I'm definitely getting the camera thing this weekend. (Fending off fendis sound like fun btw :)) Much love to you--Mom