Thursday, December 11, 2008

My favourite things: puppehs and Christmas markets

Christmas is coming so seriously soon, I am starting to freak out. I still haven't found a way to hang the silver and pink balls from my ceiling, which is apparently made of solid cement; I can't find any pine-scented anything; and my attempt to melt chocolate for pretzel-dipping resulted in a first-degree microwave disaster. Thankfully, though, SOMEone has it together and organized a German-style Christmas market outside Shanghai's most ginormous German restaurant/brauhaus. The little huts were adorable, and even though most of the wares for sale were priced beyond our reach - Y45 ($9) gluwein (mulled wine)! Come on! - I did make an exception for a set of three gingerbreadmen cookie cutters. How I will bake the cookies is still undetermined, but I feel like I'm halfway there.

Our Y25 entrance tickets entitled us to a Y25 discount off anything on the (highly expensive) brauhaus menu. We poor-studented it and each ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, delicious potato-sausage soup, and shared a pretzel. The restaurant could best be described as a homey palace - all wooden beams and grand staircases (see photo).

The puppy? My favourite sight of this week. I'm not usually a small dog person, but look at his tiiiiny nose and pensive gaze! He reminds me of Oliver, my old dog.




3 comments:

David said...

Hi Claire - Great looking soup.

Further to previous comments and a very funny moment in Canadian history [choosing laughter over tears], here is a great segment summarizing the American view of the threatened non-confidence vote in Ottawa last week from The Daily Show.

I only hope you've enough bandwidth to download.

Yvette Stack said...

The doggie is adorable! I'm taking Loretta to a German restaurant for supper tonight! It's got pine beams etc too and is homey-Bavarian; sounds a bit like the on you were at. Imagine a German restaurant in Shanghai, but then i guess there are all sorts of restaurants This one in Victoria is called the Rathskellar or something like that and they have live polka music!!! If you can't hang the siver and pink balls from the ceiling, pile them in a basket!Have you got a Messiah to listen to?

Claire said...

David, the video is "not available in my region"! Augh! Any other links? :)

Grandma, you are brilliant re: Christmas balls. Will arrange tastefully tomorrow.