Saturday, December 6, 2008

Family and cuddly sweaters

Last night I went for dinner with not only my usual companions, cousin Kelvin and his wife AnLan, but, for the first time, my entire family here: my two aunts Na Na and Neu Neu, my two uncles by marriage, and AnLan's father, Jimmy. I've been feeling homesick lately, and it was the best reminder I could have had that Shanghai isn't full of strangers. I didn't speak any Chinese the last time I saw my aunts and uncles, so it was really neat to be able to communicate with each other - they told me about their trip to Canada and the States (they were in Edmonton for ten days last month, and I never knew!), and I told them about my hopes for living and working in Shanghai next year. We had a fabulous Shanghainese dinner at a restaurant called 021; pig snout and eel were among the many dishes sampled - pig snout is a little chewy.

Na Na
invited AnLan, Kelvin, and I up to her apartment after dinner to try on her endless supply of hand-knit sweaters, which she knits in her spare time and then stores in her closet, unworn. Apparently Na Na is quite famous for her knitting - she published a book about twenty years ago that was made into a calendar, she says, and I do remember her knitting up incredibly complicated sweaters for me when we were visiting Grandma Sue in Nanaimo at the same time. Anyway, I was deposited at home with a full tummy and a soft, fat, red-and-grey cardigan under my jacket.


Photos:

1. The fam in front of a rather dazzling "ice" castle, positioned imposingly in front of 021. From left to right - AnLan, me, Na Na & husband (name to be determined - I didn't want to ask), Jimmy, husband (also ntbd) & Neu Neu.

2. Sweater party! AnLan and Na Na wrestle approximately one-third of the collection back into its duffle bag, to be stored in the closet again; the closet door to the right is concealing three shelves of mohair cardigans and pullovers.

3. My SUPER-COMFY new sweater. Kelvin says it took Na Na about three days to knit. (In three days, I knit a dishcloth.)





4 comments:

Squeege said...

I'm so glad sou're getting to see your Chinese family from time to time! Imagine all those sweaters.1 do you think you could sneak me one sometime??Isn't it interesting that they were in Edmonton; i wasn't there at the time, but i wonder if they were in victoria and Vancouver; i'd like to have met them!
I'm going back to Vancouver tomorrow then to Saltspring for a couple of days. a little parcel is on its way to you.Kathy is out at the citadel to see Scrooge tonight with a friend.

David said...

Wow, that's a sweater that will keep you warm in so many ways. It is good to see you beaming a smile. And very nice to see your Shanghai family.

Canadian Katie said...

Hi Claire! It was fun skimming through the last month of your life on your blog...I want a sweater too now though! Its great having friends who are accomplished in the home economics; just yesterday I conned one of my domestic married gf's into crocheting me a scarf haha:). Anyway I hope the rest of December is good to you, and that your Christmas is merry! How can it not be with that quaint white little tree??

P.S. Those green lady-holding-balloons earrings totally rock my socks! You should see the festive shiny ornament earrings I wore to choir last week, kinda caused a ruckus haha:)

MS M. said...

Hi Claire! It's your aunt Maureen! I am so glad to be reading this blog. I only read this latest entry so far, but I plan to read the whole thing.

I want to send you something little for xmas, can you send me a list of little things you are wanting? I will do my best to get something to you by xmas, but it may already be too late :(

I am so glad you had a good time with your family. Are the two aunts twins? Their names sound like names for twins.

OK, Claire, will talk to you soon. I'm busy getting ready for a little party tomorrow - wish you were here to help!!

Love, Aunt Maur