Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Welcome!

Hi everyone!

Well, it has taken me two months and two weeks in Shanghai to figure out that keeping my loved ones in the loop about what exactly I'm doing here is just about impossible. My gmail account is littered with half-written drafts of long, descriptive emails; Facebook takes ten years to load; and my apartment's cell phone reception is limited to the corner by the window, where I can phone home if I am standing up, facing northeast. Sure, Shanghai is great, but it's darn hard to start a new life here knowing that my ties home are molding over like those gross rails on the Titanic.

So: this blog is meant to help change all that. I know it's a little one-sided at this stage, but I'm hoping that just being able to show you what I'm doing here - the food I'm eating, the people I'm spending time with, where I'm sleeping, the stuff I'm buying - will make us feel a little less far away. Please feel free to comment, ask me questions, and request parcels. I will post updates at least a few times per week.

Here's to new beginnings! With lots of love,

Claire.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray! Congrats on the new blog Claire! I will read it dedicatedly as I spend approximately 20% of my day on the computer anyways!

Things I would like to see on your blog:
(1) Lots of pictures! (great job so far)
(2) A picture with every entry (that might be more difficult, but if you visit a store, take a picture of it. Or if you went out for a latte, take a picture of it)
(3) Descriptions of fun places you've been
(4) Keywords for every entry so they are easier to search once you have a lot! And I guess that means you need a menu bar somewhere on the page...
(5) Ads so you can make money (hahaha)

Looking forward to reading all about your adventures!

Claire said...

Such a blog pro :) Thanks Carla! I'll be posting some catch-up entries over the next few days so you can see some of the stuff I've been doing since I got here.

Unknown said...

wow claire, I'm so impressed with your blog and adventures thus far. This is my first blogging adventure so in essence I guess I'm not a blog virgin anymore. The pictures are very fun to see, It allows me to live vicariously through you :) and now I don't feel so far away. The little towns in china look so beautiful its how I pictured 100 secret senses

Yvette Stack said...

OK this is the fourth one I've tried, I hope it works this time!

Yvette Stack said...

OK, itlooks as if it finally went. I had to choose a new password as the other one wasn't long enough. Anyway I'm thrilled that you have this blog! What a good idea; I especially love seeing pictures. Can there be an audio aspect to this?? Because then you could play some guitar chords!

Claire said...

I'm not sure how to do audio, Grandma, but maybe I can post a video of me playing Twinkle Twinkle?

Lisa, I'm so glad to hear from you!! I also had no experience with blogs. As evidenced by my commenting on my own. Um.. I'll email you.

Rosebud said...

HI Claire,
Great blog - my first experience writting to one.

I tried e-mailing you but it was returned. I'll try again later.
Have a geat weekend,
Love Aii