Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sunday brunch chez moi

This Sunday, I had Poppy (Scottish, sipping mocha) and Julia (Polish, delicately handling utensils) over for a lazy brunch. My kitchen is my favourite part of my new apartment (aside from the laundry rails that crank up and down from the ceiling), but since I realized that Western ingredients are more expensive than Western restaurant food, my gas range and lovely yellow countertops haven't been getting much of a workout. The solution: French-pressed mochas; my old favourite, French toast; and a ginormous fruit salad. Katie (American, delivering dry wit) joined us too, and sitting around the awesome sea-foam folding table that came with the flat (and enjoying the first sunshine we'd seen in a week), we congratulated ourselves on starting a new weekend tradition.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum. French toast.

We're having pizza tonight.

Since the comment widget requires me to type a nonsensical word to comment, I think I'm going to include the word in the comment and make up a definition about it.

[ahem]

untersio: not tersio; having reverted back from a state of tersi

[ta-dah!]

Glad you're blogging. :)

evelyn said...

What lovely young women! And such elegance in dining and reporting. Thank you for doing this Claire--it puts my maternal heart more or less at rest. I've just returned from another poetry reading 1 bad, 1 mostly good, 1 unspeakable--and sat on a comfortable couch with a wry Irish women named Katy. A fine evening. Ah, Isn't nikita-chan brilliant. Here's my non-word: torgize: to arrange items very slowly.

much love, Mom. xoxoxox

evelyn said...

why am I evelyn?
xxxMom

inelooh:a slipper insert used among Thai farmers

juhupudlox said...

here's some more views of the same (not much more, just a little tiny bit more) http://flickr.com/photos/juhu

Laura B. said...

Claire- I love the table. It's like that apartment was MADE for you.

Also, I'm delighted you have a web space for documenting your time in Shanghai. I look forward to reading more about French toast and fruit salad. I'm still waiting on a postal code.

Love you!
L

Pargra: A reporter's shorthand for paragraph; when Monday evenings spiral into deadline hell, pargras often get poor editing.

Laura B. said...

Why am I Shirley?

Swoncemp: A swamp where swans nest.

Claire said...

Ha! I love your pseudonyms. Perhaps they have something to do with who was last signed in to Google or Gmail on your computer? Blogger/Blogspot are Google pages now and use Google user names. Not that there's anything wrong with Evelyn and Shirley - you've had Jocelyn and Laura for so long now, anyway. Maybe it's time for a change.

Laura B. said...

Is that a guitar in your living room??


Maxiftsy: Being completely and totally mystified.

Laura B. said...

Claire! I just figured out how to see the photos in full-size. NICE Cologne cathedral kitchen accessorizing!

insinest: Accidents involving birds' nests.