Monday, November 24, 2008

Another weekend, another free food bonanza

Whoa! Two posts in one day! Well, I had to tell you about this weekend, which was super-fun, especially after my residence permit trauma (see below). Friday night was an art opening at a huge warehouse-cum-gallery down near Suzhou Creek - a German photographer was showcasing images of old and new Shanghai. The real show, though, was the rest of the event - the planner had hired ten or twelve street food vendors to work inside the gallery, providing the evening's refreshments. (Side note - I haven't completely figured out how I feel about hiring the poor to essentially be part of the show, and I'd love your input.) So... unlimited dumplings, egg pancakes, kebabs, roasted chestnuts, popcorn, cotton candy, and even mandarin oranges. And an open bar. As Katie and I concluded (but didn't verbalize quite like this), who cares about art when you can eat your face off?

Saturday night was Helene and Nico's housewarming - they're the French couple who came to my party last weekend. Their place is super-cute and in a great location near Xujiahui, which has arguably the best shopping in town. Helene had concocted potato salad, while Nico presented a dangerous beverage of sugar cane syrup, rum, and mushed-up lime, which helped everyone warm up as it poured rain outside. Katie and I had spent the afternoon shopping at the fake market (real market, fake goods) in Pudong, the new area of Shanghai, and it was so nice to just be inside with friends instead of fending off the fake Fendis (ha! ha! wordplay!); I had, however, purchased an awesome pair of earrings that don't strive to be any label at all. Picture below.
I spent the rest of the weekend tutoring - I have a new student, a Taiwanese businessman, who can only meet weekends, but he's a really nice guy (don't worry, I meet him at Starbucks and he doesn't know where I live) so I figure the income is worth it.

More soon. P.S.
All photo credits to Anja, who, unlike me, doesn't forget her camera. Thank you!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the earrings Claire! Glad to hear that you're still surviving ok.

Speaking of fun cute things to be found. Check this out: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/a620/

I REALLY wanted to get the brown one for you, but it turns out the shipping is more expensive than the item itself...Stoopidd!!

So you will just have to be satisfied with watching the video. Enjoy!

Claire said...

Oh my God, that thing is hilarious. The best part is at 1:39 when they all blink in unison.

Yvette Stack said...

Your experience with the housing bureaucracy sounds horrific1 anyway, glad it got sorted, but doesn't it make you mad to have to wast so much time on things like that when there are such interesting things to do!! But the party sounds like fun, and the food sounds interesting.I'm glad you are meeting people and getting to do some socializing and seeing other peoples' places etc.
as for hiring the poor people to work inside he show, I'd be Ok wih it I think, as they were hopefully paid fairly and so not being exploited I hope. It was probably nice for them to be inside for a change instead of ou in the rain.I'm in Edmonton now. Afteer lugging my skiis around with me for three yeas I took a serious look at them the other day and realized the are cracked and old and a mess, and threw them out. so am getting new ones while i am here. they measure you for them differently now so theywill be shorter, which is good. I"m getting waxless ones this time; they've improved them alot and thy're nice and light now,
I guess this isn't relevant info for your blog! sometimes I forget that I'm commenting in a blog and not writing an e-mail. Oh well, I'm sure all your readers will be thrilled that I'm geting new skiis.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Hey Claire, great scarves. I can imagine your picture in an On The Street with Bill Cunningham feature on scarves worn by hip New Yorkers at even more hip gallery openings. Is there something similar in Shanghai - or perhaps something like The Sartorialist?

A similar site, The Commodified, documented Vancouver street style for a while.

Mmmm, new skis.