Monday, January 26, 2009

Haaaappy New Year! : China-style

Mom and I are sitting across the table from each other typing on our respective Macs as countless firecrackers and fireworks explode just outside the window. Chinese New Year kicks January 1st's bum all over the place - we ran outside at midnight to see fireworks exploding from at least twelve points in our neighbourhood alone. Sadly, my USB drive doesn't seem to be receptive and so I can't post pics - I'll try to rectify this ASAP.

Beijing and Qingdao were fab, especially our four-hour hike of the Great Wall that ended with us ziplining across a giant river valley in the freezing cold. The two-day colds that followed weren't so hot (pun fully intended, ha, ha) but Qingdao was small enough that we didn't feel bad about lying in our hotel beds all sniffy. Pics also forthcoming. How does Bluetooth work? Do cameras use it? How can I get my pictures from there to here without my USB ports? Darn, darn, darn.

Much love and further posts to follow. Happy Year of the Ox!

9 comments:

Ang Ela said...

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR CLAIRE!
Xen Nian Fai Lu!

Hope you are doing well!

Laura B. said...

card reader? telekinesis? upload to your mother's computer and e-mail?

Sounds like a marvellous time. So glad you're having fun. Happy New Year! SEVENTEEN more sleeps!


congranta: n. an delicious drink we haven't invented yet. But we will.

Yvette Stack said...

Sounds like you are having a very exciting time; don't expect me to do the zipline thing if I come to visit you! The fireworks must have been spectacular. I hope your colds are better; did you have lots of ginger and lemon, and can you get Cold FX there??MY life sound dull compared to yours; am going to some of the Vic film festival next week and dong lots of hikes, but that's about it. L look forward to seeing your pics; unfortunaltey, can't offer any technical advice.Happy New Year!

Gregory said...

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time! Happy New Year and the never to be upstaged Birthday week. I hope you're taking in at least half of the fireworks for you.

David said...

幸福的新年
[here's hoping yahoo translation services are correct]

Antony Adler said...

Happy Birthday Claire! Hope you have a good one.

Claire said...

Oh no! I am trapped in my own comments box! Mom and I are in Xitang, a wee town near Shanghai, and I wanted to post about my b-day but can't figure out how to log in as Google and the browser are all in Chinese. Thus - a HIDDEN POST.

Thanks for all the New Year's and birthday wishes. Both have been fabulous, and Xitang hasn't disappointed either. The highlight of the day was blowdrying a little dog who fell in the river. It took twenty minutes and six hands but we got the job done! (Wiping brow) Dirty but incredibly cute and fluffy work.

Tomorrow: to Hangzhou, famous for its beautiful West Lake. More soon - we'll be back in Shanghai in two days.

serg said...

Claire!!!

I know it's a couple days late but happy birthday!

~Sergio

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love reading your blog. It sounds like you are having a super-amazing-fantastic time and I'm glad for you but I miss you!