Sunday, December 21, 2008

Chinese cuisine: the highs and the... less highs

So my friend Katie is going home to Minnesota tomorrow, having had enough of the programme here and wanting to get her life started in the States. I'm going to miss her a tonne because (among other reasons) her love for Starbucks and for sarcasm at art openings is rivalled only by my own. Anyway, I always think when you want to say something, you should say it with food - so we took her out to eat hotpot. A lot of hotpot. At this particular restaurant, every customer gets her own little pot of broth, which is brought to a boil by a tiny flame underneath. Everyone shares the raw ingredients, which you throw liberally into the pot, fish out a couple minutes later, and devour after dipping into one of your two custom-made sauces. It's pretty much heaven. Lamb! Beef! Green vegetables! For once, a meal with vegetables AND without oil.

Conversely, if you feel like fried carbs with an extra shot of cholesterol, you can always head to one of the bazillions of pancake stands on the streets here. This one by Donghua University is probably my favourite, because the guys crinkle the pancake at the end with such zeal (see blurry hand movements). The process: first, they mush one of those fatter, smaller dough patties flat on the grill, then crack an egg on top and flip the pancake over, rubbing more grease into it than one would think possible. At this point, you can opt to add bacon, but I usually shy away as I never like to overdo it. (Clearly.) When it's all cooked, there is a flurry of pancake crinkling - perhaps to add volume before the hot sauce is added. Finally, the whole greasy mess is swaddled into a little paper bag and you're sent on your way to figure out how to eat the thing and still look at least a little dignified.

So, Katie, look what you're missing in Minnesota. On the other hand... eat a salad for me!


4 comments:

Antony Adler said...

I dunno I've had the salads in minnesota this time of year... any local vegetable that can withstand those temperatures isn't fit to eat. Ever get Dan Dan noodles there? Maybe it isn't chinese ... I'll see if i have the recipe. Yum!

Yvette Stack said...

Well, the hotpot sounds really good: we used to have a restaurant in Edmonton that did that; the Mongolian somethng. But the pancake thing sounds terrible!!I'm sorry your friend has gone back to Minnesota.I'll bet your little apt looks very attractive and Christmasy. Diane is making meringues right now;four flavours: lemon, chai, coffee, and curry/cayenne. Did you ever hear of curry meringues?? The meringueshave to bake fo three hours at 175. She is bugging me right now because she says I type too loud.It's because I'm a pianist, i can't help it. She keeps her fingers perfectly flat so she doesn't make any noise.Hi Claire. Actually, I do not keep my fingers perfectly flat to prevent making noise. I just type like everyone else. I do not punch at the keyboard with 2 fingers. I have been thinking of you while I do the baking; now it's me again, as Diane wants to watch me ; she thought I was typing with two fingers, which of course I'm not, as I learned with Miss mavis Beacon. Hi I am back. Its true she uses her whole hand but it is like she is attacking the keyboard. Anyhow, I was looking for pretzels as I decided I should whip some up in your honour. (the chocolate ones of course) I am making florentines tomorrow. So far I have made ginger lemon shortbread, molasses crinkles, triple chocolate, fruit and nut, birdsnest, chocolate esspresso, gingerbread men and sugar cats. Tell me some restaurant menus. What are you doing on xmas day?NOw it's Grandma again. i tried to get Diane to write her own comment and have her own name but she won't.
Did you have to read "Swiss Family Robinson" when you were taking children't lit? I anever did read it so am reading it now and really enjoying it; certainly from another, very innocent time!

Claire said...

You guys are so nuts. Diane, I COVET your baking; it is torture hearing about it, but in a good way, so please keep me updated on what else is coming out of the oven. The closest I have to the scent of baking here is cinnamon apple-scented Ikea candles. Sob. Grandma, I have to admit that you are kind of an aggressive typer, though I can corroborate that you, like myself, are a faithful follower of Mavis Beacon's techniques. Anyway, don't type too loud or the meringues will fall :)

Have never read SFR; am now working on Northanger Abbey, which is growing on me. Lots of love, you crazies! MCMC.

Squeege said...

Hi Claire,

Christmas Day celebrations should be well
underway there. Have a lovely day.

p.s. Your culinary skills most certainly exeed mine,
I assure you.

Merry Christmas Claire
LOTS OF LOVE xoxoxo